- Olive oil
- 1-2 large yellow onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper, diced fairly large
- 1 green pepper, diced fairly large
- 2 28-oz. cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. cayenne (or to your taste)
- 1 pkg. frozen corn
- 2 cans black beans (or any other kind of beans you like – chickpeas work well too)
- 1 1.5 can picante sauce (Shotgun Willie’s green sauce –very hot – works well)
- salt to taste
- grated cheddar, if desired
- cashew nuts, if desired
Saute onions in the olive oil. (**I used cooking wine instead to out the fat). Add garlic a bit later.
After onion and garlic have turned golden brown, add cumin, cayenne, and whatever other spices you might like. Fry for a couple of minutes.
Next, add the peppers, saute them for a few mintues.
Put the crushed tomatoes, corn, beans and picante sauce into the crock pot, and add the onion mixture.
Cook on low about 10 hours.
Serve with grated cheddar and cashew nuts, if desired.
Note: I didn’t have room in my crockpot for 2 cans of crushed tomatoes, and I had to cut back a little on the corn too, so you will have to vary the sizes above depending on the size of your crockpot.